Sunday, October 14, 2012

"I" to "The Great I Am"

Being by the water gives me an un-explainable feeling of peace.

I can not get the words out fast enough. My mind is racing. I am trying to comprehend all the amazing things that took place this weekend. This weekend La Grave's youth group Crew went to Camp Greenwood for a retreat. I was really hesitant to go on this retreat. I am new to this group and had no idea what would happen.
Saturday morning bright and early about 11 am we headed out (kidding on the bright and early). The rain was pouring down which was a bummer considering that we were planning on being outside most of the time. The trailer was packed with all of our sleeping bags and clothes for the next day. I rode in the Tan van which was the best (I am a little bias though). For some reason we all had a lot of energy. I could not stop giggling, which was not unusual. I was just amazed at the way that people were so welcoming to everyone. I was included immediately and felt so comfortable.
Our time was divided up into sessions and free time.


***In the first one we concentrated on how Satan destroys with lies. It is SO true. I have lies I believe that I allow to rule my life. I think the thing that struck me the most was how Satan uses just a little bit of truth to start the lie and how he is going to use the people closest to me.
Lies destroy.
I cannot agree more.
To dig into to our fears we started coming up with lies that we all believed in. I think that people would really be surprised if they were to admit their fears more often, how many people really do share the same fears. Instead we sit here quiet and afraid of being vulnerable  Let me tell you something different. We had the chance to be open about our fears with the lies that we believe. There was a big paper with the word "you" written on it. It was clean and looked nice. One at a time we all went up there and shared lies that we struggle with. After that we took black spray paint and made a slash on the paper. "You" was immediately destroyed and covered.
Lies destroy who we are. 
They destroy who we become and how we view ourselves.
I do not want the devil to win. And he does when I do not fight those lies. 
I may not be able, but GOD IS ABLE.
Fighting lies means going out of my comfort zone. But that is going to be a good thing because that is going to bring me to my knees in the presence of Jesus.

Beautiful ladies 


***In session two we really concentrated on the truth. That means fighting back with the armor of God. The armor of God including the Helmet of Salvation, Breast Plate of Righteousness, Belt of Truth, Shield of Faith, Sword of truth, and the Feet fitted with the gospel of peace. (Ephesians 6:10-12) This is not a once in a life time thing to do. IT IS DONE EVERY SINGLE DAY. For the activity for this we got into groups and we had to say three things that we did like about ourselves, three things we didn't, things we like about each other, and lastly what God says about us. Coming up with negatives about ourselves was way more simple than the positives. That hit me really hard. So often I concentrate on the negatives and refuse to find myself in a good light. Something happened though.
God worked. When people were giving me compliments I believed them. I do not remember the last time that I have believed a compliment. God allowed my heart to be opened to the positive words. I am SO THANKFUL. Yay God!
 We also touched on spiritual gifts. God is going to get his work done regardless of what we do, but he does give us a chance to use the gifts that he has given us. As Christians we are all apart of the body of Christ and we all have our own gifts to contribute to the body. No one is the same. And that is what makes it so special.  The Holy Spirit is going to empower us, but it is up to us to open up to him.

 ***Quiet time was spent with our Bibles and Christ. 31 references in the Bible-all talking about different things that God says about us. I belong to Christ. He loves me. I am his. I really can do anything through Christ.

***Session three was spent taking the "I" into the "Great I am". Jolene went through seven names of God with Bible references talking about them. It was our Sunday morning worship service. There was singing and prayer. Not just a normal "bow your head and close your eyes". We were encouraged in groups of 4 to keep our eyes open. That was a whole new experience. We went through the alphabet naming God, we prayed for those in need, and more.

The beauty of this view is just breath -taking

Overall:
This was one of the best weekends in my life. I have never been to a youth group like the one I am now a part of. I went in barely knowing anyone, but came out with the foundations to what are going to grow into beautiful friendships. Relationships were healed and renewed.I was able to have some awesome talks with my best friend. I was able to be myself. I discovered so much about myself that I refused to see before. People were open in sharing their hearts which was beautiful. The brokenness and hurt is beautiful because God turns it beautiful. 
I stepped out of my comfort zone. Volunteers were being asked for to help clean up, and I had my hand raised, but too many had their hands up so I was not chosen. I know for a fact that this was God because I would not have planned on this. But my hand was up in the air before I knew it volunteering to pray. Uh-yeah. That was God for sure. I have this huge fear of praying out loud. I should say I did. God took that fear away. God is alive and present.
I changed this weekend. God worked in me. I want to be a leader. I want to be the face of Christ through everything that I do. I want to be me. Nothing more than what God is making me into. That is enough. I am chasing Christ and will continue to do so until the day that I die. I want to love people and pour into them. I want to find the beauty within side myself that God has put there. I am special just being me.
Falling deeper in love with Christ more and more satisfies me.

Psalm 45:11
"The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your Lord."

With love,
Hannah Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment